Who gets the house after divorce (UK)?

Request a call from a family law solicitor


Divorce is a difficult process, and one of the most contentious issues is the division of property, especially when it comes to the marital home. If you are considering or going through a divorce, you may be asking questions like “who gets the house after divorce (UK), and who will be responsible for the children?

In the United Kingdom, the process of dividing assets after a divorce is known as ancillary relief. This includes the division of the family home and other property. Expert Family Law will examine and explain the process of ancillary relief and who gets the family home after a divorce in the UK.

Splitting assets in divorce

When a couple divorces in the UK, the court will consider the financial resources of both parties and make an order for ancillary relief if it considers it necessary. The purpose of ancillary relief is to ensure that both parties receive a fair share of the assets, taking into account their financial needs, standard of living, the length of the marriage, and the contributions made by each party during the marriage.

Who gets the house after divorce (UK)?

First and foremost, it is important to understand that the family home is considered a marital asset, regardless of whose name is on the mortgage or the deeds of the property. This means that both parties have equal rights to the property and its value, regardless of who paid the mortgage or made any financial contributions to the property.

When deciding who gets the house in a divorce, the court will consider a number of factors, including the standard of living of the parties, their financial resources, and the best interests of any children involved. In general, the court will strive to ensure that both parties have a similar standard of living after the divorce and that any children continue to have a safe and stable home. The court may also consider the home rights registered with the Land Registry and any evidence of domestic violence.

In order to make a fair decision, the court will consider the financial resources of both parties, including their ability to pay the mortgage and maintain the property. If one party has limited financial resources, they may be entitled to a greater share of the property’s value or be granted the right to stay in the house until the children reach a certain age.

The divorce process in the UK involves negotiating financial settlements that are legally binding. This may involve selling the house and dividing the proceeds, or one party may be required to buy out the other’s share of the property. In some cases, a court order may be required to sell the property, especially if one party is unwilling to agree to a sale.

In some cases, the mortgage lender may require that the property be sold, even if one party wishes to retain it. In these situations, a consent order may be required to allow the sale of the property.

In conclusion, who gets the house in a divorce in the UK depends on several factors, including the standard of living, financial resources, and home rights with the Land Registry.

If children are involved, the court may consider their best interests when determining who will stay in the family home. Legal advice is essential during the divorce process, and a court order is legally binding and determines the distribution of assets and liabilities, including the marital home.

Who is responsible for paying the mortgage?

In the UK, the person who is named on the mortgage is responsible for paying it, regardless of their marital status. If the mortgage is in joint names, both parties are equally responsible for paying it. In a divorce, the court may make an order for one party to transfer their interest in the property to the other, or for one party to buy out the other’s share. The court can also make an order for sale of the property. The person who retains ownership of the property is responsible for paying the mortgage.

Ancillary relief for the division of assets

Ancillary relief is the term used in the UK to describe the financial settlement that is made between divorcing couples, which can include the division of assets, property, and finances. The process of ancillary relief typically involves the following steps:

  1. Gathering information: Both parties are required to provide full and frank disclosure of their financial circumstances, including income, assets, debts, and pensions.
  2. Negotiations: The parties may try to reach an agreement through negotiations, with or without the help of their solicitors. If an agreement is reached, it can be formalized into a consent order.
  3. Mediation: If negotiations are not successful, the parties may attend mediation, where a neutral third party helps them reach a mutually acceptable agreement.
  4. Court application: If an agreement cannot be reached through negotiations or mediation, either party can make a court application for ancillary relief.
  5. Hearing: The court will hold a hearing to determine the financial settlement. The court will take into account various factors, including the needs of each party, the parties’ respective income and resources, and the length of the marriage.
  6. Order: The court will make an order, which can be a consent order or a court order, setting out the terms of the financial settlement. The order will be binding on both parties.

It is important to note that the process of ancillary relief can be complex and time-consuming, and it is advisable to seek legal advice.

How can Expert family Law assist?

Our panel of solicitors can deal with all aspects of a divorce, including ancillary relief and the splitting of assets between parties to a divorce. The breakdown of a marriage is never easy, and we aim to ensure the process of obtaining ancillary relief is as stress free as possible.

Expert Family Law can assist parties to a divorce whether you are married or in a divorce with children or without children, we can help. We can assist those who wish to have their house sold and proceeds divided, those selling the house in a divorce with children, and those wishing to defer the house in a divorce with children.

We ensure that the divorce solicitors on our panel have the skills and experience required to assist on your legal case. We can assure you that your case will be dealt with in a compassionate and understanding manner.

The solicitors on our panel can assist you through the process of divorce, including the application, as well as assisting you with child arrangements, financial settlements and ancillary relief following the termination of your marriage.

If you are still asking the question “who gets the house after divorce (UK)? Contact us today.

Get in touch today using the form at the top of the page to find out if a divorce solicitor from our panel could help on your case.


Divorce Proceedings

Ancillary Relief

Domestic Abuse

Child arrangements

Expert Family Law

Keep up to date with the latest family law news