Child Maintenance Solicitors: CSA

Request a call from a family law solicitor


If you have a child that you do not live with, you may be required to pay child maintenance to help the other parent to meet the costs of raising your child. Our panel of child maintenance solicitors can assist both parents in agreeing to child maintenance, obtaining a Child Maintenance Order, and enforcing the order if the paying parent is not meeting their obligations under the order.

child arrangement solicitor
divorce solicitors

What is child maintenance?

Child maintenance, also known as child support, refers to the financial support provided by one parent or guardian to another to help meet the costs of raising a child. It is typically paid by the parent who does not have day-to-day care of the child to the parent or guardian who does.

The purpose of child maintenance is to ensure that children are provided with the basic necessities of life, such as food, clothing, and shelter, as well as other expenses related to their care and upbringing, such as education and healthcare costs. Child maintenance can also help ensure that both parents share the financial responsibility for raising their children, even if they are no longer in a relationship.

In England and Wales, payment of child maintenance is usually based on a formula that takes into account the income and living arrangements of both parents, as well as the number of children being supported. The Child Maintenance Service (CMS) is a government agency that can assist parents in calculating and collecting child maintenance payments.

It’s important to note that child maintenance is different from other forms of financial support, such as spousal maintenance or property division, which may be available to a spouse in the event of a divorce or separation. Child maintenance is intended solely for the benefit of the child and is separate from any obligations between the parents.

Child Maintenance Solicitors – FAQ’s

What does a child maintenance solicitor do?

A child maintenance solicitor is a family lawyer who specialises in advising and representing clients on matters related to child support and maintenance. They can provide a range of legal services to parents or guardians, including:

  • Providing advice and guidance: A child maintenance solicitor can advise clients on their legal rights and obligations with respect to child support and maintenance. They can also explain the various options available for resolving disputes and provide guidance on the most appropriate course of action.
  • Negotiating child maintenance agreements: A child maintenance solicitor can assist in negotiating an agreement between parents or guardians for the payment of child support and maintenance, including issues related to the amount of support and the timing of payments.
  • Obtaining court orders: Child maintenance solicitors can assist parties in making a child maintenance agreement legally binding by obtaining a consent order, or they can obtain Child Maintenance Orders from the court of parties are unable to agree.
  • Representing clients in court: In cases where parents or guardians are unable to reach an agreement on child support and maintenance, child maintenance solicitors can represent their clients in court proceedings. This can include preparing legal documents, presenting evidence, and arguing the case before a judge.
  • Enforcing child maintenance orders: A child maintenance solicitor can also assist in enforcing child maintenance orders, which may involve taking legal action against a parent who is not complying with their support obligations.

Overall, the role of a child maintenance solicitor is to provide expert legal advice and representation to ensure that the best interests of the child are protected and that financial arrangements for their care and support are fair and adequate under child maintenance law.

Do I need to apply for child maintenance?

Whether or not you need to apply for child maintenance will depend on your individual circumstances. In general, if you and your child’s other parent are separated or divorced, and your child spends the majority of their time living with you, you may be entitled to receive child maintenance payments.

However, it is important to note that child maintenance is not automatically paid by the non-resident parent. In order to receive child maintenance, you may need to apply for it.

In England, the Child Maintenance Service (CMS) is a government agency that can assist with setting up and managing child maintenance payments. You can apply to the CMS for child maintenance if you are the parent who lives with and has primary care of the child, and the other parent is not providing financial support for the child.

Alternatively, you may be able to arrange child maintenance payments through a private agreement with the other parent, which can be set up without involving the CMS. In this case, you may want to consider consulting a solicitor or mediator to help negotiate and formalise the terms of the agreement by applying to the court for an order.

Overall, whether or not you need to apply for child maintenance will depend on your individual situation and the extent to which the other parent is providing financial support for your child. If you are unsure about your rights and entitlements with respect to child maintenance, it may be helpful to seek legal advice.

How can Expert Family Law assist?

Expert Family Law have a panel of experienced child maintenance solicitors on hand to help you with all chid maintenance matters.

As well as assisting with child maintenance, our panel of family law teams can also advise and assist on the process of divorce and the division of assets following the breakdown of a marriage or civil partnership (ancillary relief) and child arrangements.

We ensure that the family law solicitors on our panel have the skills and experience required to assist on your legal case. We can assure you that your case will be dealt with in a compassionate and understanding manner.

Get in touch today using the form at the top of the page to find out if a child arrangement solicitor from our panel could help on your case.


Divorce Proceedings

Ancillary Relief

Domestic Abuse

Child arrangements

Expert Family Law

Keep up to date with the latest family law news