Child Custody Solicitors Sheffield: Your Child’s Residence

Request a call from a family law solicitor


When going through a relationship breakdown or divorce proceedings, the issue of child custody is an important but difficult decision that must be made. If you are struggling to reach an agreement regarding living arrangements for your children, our expert legal panel of child custody solicitors Sheffield can provide the legal advice and assistance you need.

Having good child custody solicitors, Sheffield in place can make all the difference and will ensure your children feel secure, safe and wanted, whilst helping parents come to the right decision, keeping your children’s needs at the heart of all decisions.

When family disputes arise between parents, it can be helpful to have someone outside of the relationship to help you navigate through the conflict and provide you with the best advice on moving forward, keeping the needs of your children at the forefront. Our family law team are experienced in dealing with child custody matters and can provide support during this difficult time.

What is a child custody solicitor?

A child custody solicitor is a legal professional who specializes in helping parents or guardians navigate the legal aspects of child custody and visitation arrangements. They can provide legal advice and representation to individuals who are going through a divorce or separation, or to unmarried parents who are trying to establish custody arrangements for their child.

A child custody solicitor can help their clients negotiate custody and visitation agreements with the other parent, and can also represent them in court if necessary. They can provide guidance on legal issues related to child custody, such as parental rights, child support, and access to medical and educational information.

Overall, a child custody solicitor is an expert in family law who can provide valuable support and representation to parents and guardians who are facing child custody disputes or who need help establishing a custody arrangement that is in the best interests of their child.

child arrangement solicitor
divorce solicitors

Child arrangements

When going through a divorce or the breakdown of a relationship, your top priority should be agreeing to care arrangements for your children. Every family is different, and there will be no right or wrong answers when coming to an agreement as to child arrangements. Legal rights and responsibilities will be afforded to anyone with parental responsibility towards the children, regardless of whether the children live with the parent (resident parent) or not.

Having a set agreement as to when parents will spend time with children, and ensuring parents stick to the child arrangement order is key to ensuring the happiness and emotional stability of the children.

When deciding upon childcare arrangements, parents should always put their differences aside to come up with the best possible decision for the children. Parents may wish to consider mediation and if the children are old enough, they may wish to get involved and share their wishes through a mediator, who is an impartial third party.

Child Custody Solicitors – FAQ’s

What is the difference between a resident parent and someone with parental responsibility?

A resident parent is the parent who the children live with for the majority of the time. The other parent will usually have a contact arrangement which is agreed between parents, through mediation, or in some circumstances, a Judge will provide a Court order which states how and how often the other parent will have contact.

Both parents will usually have parental responsibility, unless a Court order states otherwise. When both parents have parental responsibility, this means that they have equal rights and responsibilities towards the children. Equal rights mean that parents have an equal say in how the children are raised and some of the main issues that parents may need to agree upon include education and medical treatment, religion etc. Parents will also be unable to take children out of the country without the agreement of the other parent.

Can a non-parent obtain a Residency Order?

In some circumstances, someone who is not the parent of the child may obtain a Residency Order in special circumstances, such as the death of a parent, or if the parents are unable to care for the children.

A Residency Order determines where a child should live and who should be responsible for their day-to-day care.

Under the Children Act 1989, anyone who has parental responsibility for a child can apply for a Residency Order. This can include not only parents, but also grandparents, aunts, uncles, and other relatives or individuals who have been granted parental responsibility for the child.

In addition, non-parents who do not have parental responsibility for the child can also apply for a Residency Order if they have the permission of everyone who does have parental responsibility, or if they can show that they have a legitimate interest in the child’s welfare and that making a Residency Order in their favor would be in the child’s best interests.

However, obtaining a Residency Order as a non-parent can be a complex legal process, and it is generally advisable to seek the advice of a family law solicitor if you are considering making an application.

How can our panel of child custody solicitors Sheffield assist on your case?

Following the breakdown of a relationship, child custody should be your main concern. Family law solicitors in Sheffield can assist in negotiations between parents, arranging mediation and advising on when an application to the court should be made. Our team of family solicitors will also guide you through the process of applying to the court and will provide representation for your case.

They can also offer advice to parents for meeting the terms of the order and assistance when these terms have not been met.

We understand that disputes involving children and their care can be incredibly complex and sensitive. The family lawyers on our panel can provide you with the best advice and assistance on resolving child arrangement disputes and obtaining Orders from the Family Court if the dispute cannot be resolved between the parents or through the process of mediation.

As well as assisting with child arrangements, our panel of family solicitors offer a range of services in the area of family law such as assistance in the divorce process and financial settlements following the breakdown of a marriage or civil partnership (ancillary relief). Also, many of our solicitors offer a free 30-minute consultation to discuss your case.

We ensure that the experienced lawyers on our panel of family law services have the skills required to assist on your legal case. We can assure you that your case will be dealt with in a compassionate and understanding manner.

Get in touch today using the form at the top of the page to find out if a child custody solicitor, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, from a law firm on our panel could help on your case.


Divorce Proceedings

Ancillary Relief

Domestic Abuse

Child arrangements

Expert Family Law

Keep up to date with the latest family law news