Child contact solicitor Leeds: Contact for parents and grandparents

Request a call from a family law solicitor


Our panel of child contact solicitors can assist parents, grandparents and step-parents to obtain contact with a child or children when they have been prevented from doing so. In these situations, it may be necessary to seek assistance from family solicitors in Leeds or Harrogate to get some sort of contact re-instated; however, a full child custody case is not usually required.

child contact solicitors
divorce solicitors

Child Arrangement Orders for obtaining contact

Child Arrangement Orders now replace Child Contact Orders and Residence Orders. A Child Arrangement Order is a type of Court Order which can be obtained through use of family mediators, or via the Family Court by a person with parental responsibility to determine child contact arrangements. This type of document is legally binding and determines:

  • where, and with whom the child or children will live
  • which family members the children will spend time with
  • when contact with parents will take place
  • what other types of contact will take place, and when they will take place until the child is 16 years old

Child Arrangement Order terms can be flexible to meet individual circumstances. They last until the child reaches the age of 16 but can be varied or discharged should circumstances change.

They can help both parents to share a significant role in their child or children’s lives. other types of Orders that can be made by the Court regarding child arrangements include Specific Issue Orders, Prohibited Steps Orders and Child Maintenance Orders.

Child contact solicitor Leeds – FAQ’s

Should I seek court action to gain contact with a child?

When being prevented from seeing your child or grandchild, your first instinct would tell you to apply to the court straight away; however, the courts do not take the same approach. The court will need to be satisfied that all possible steps have been taken for parties to attempt to reach an agreement regarding child contact. The first step that should be taken is negotiation with the other party or parties involved. It is often helpful to let the children involved express their wishes if they are old enough to do so.

With the aid of a specialist family lawyer, successful negotiation is often achieved as a more objective approach to the negotiations can be taken, removing some of the tension and emotion from the overall situation. To find out how our family law team can be of assistance, get in touch today using the form at the top of the page.

What happens if my case goes to court?

If an agreement cannot be reached through negotiation or mediation regarding child contact, it will be necessary to make an application to the Court to obtain a Child Arrangement Order. The Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service (CAFCASS) will be instructed by the court to provide a report and make recommendations on the nest possible options for contact. The court will also have to consider a number of factors, such as:

  • What decision would be in the best interests of the child
  • Which contact arrangements will meet the welfare needs of the child
  • Whether contact arrangements may have an impact on the child’s education
  • Whether there would be any risk of neglect or harm to the child in allowing the proposed contact arrangements

The Court will need to hear from those involved in the case and upon hearing the application, they will decide upon how contact should be put in place using a Child Arrangement Order.

How much do child contact solicitors cost?

You will be required to pay the costs of your solicitor plus any court fees. The costs of your solicitor will depend on the panel firm handling your case. Most law firms on our panel offer a transparent fee structure on a fixed fee basis, or on a pay as you go rate.

All fees will be discussed with you by your appointed solicitor before you agree to proceed with your child contact case.

Legal Aid may be available to parties who have suffered domestic abuse.

How can a firm from Expert Family Law's panel of child contact solicitors help me?

We understand that disputes involving children and child care can be incredibly complex and sensitive. The solicitors on our panel can provide you with the best legal advice and assistance on resolving child contact disputes and obtaining a Child Arrangement Order from the Court if the dispute cannot be resolved through negotiation or mediation.

As well as assisting with contact arrangements for children, our panel of law specialists can also advise and assist on other areas of family law such as divorce and financial settlements or legal awards following a relationship breakdown of a marriage or civil partnership (ancillary relief).

We ensure that the teams of family law solicitors on our panel have the skills and experience required to assist on your legal case. We can assure you that your case will be dealt with in a compassionate and understanding manner.

Get in touch today using the form at the top of the page to find out if a child contact solicitor, Leeds, from our panel could help on your case.


Divorce Proceedings

Ancillary Relief

Domestic Abuse

Child arrangements

Expert Family Law

Keep up to date with the latest family law news