C100 Form – All You Need To Know

Request a call from a family law solicitor


What is a c100 form?

The breakdown of a relationship or marriage is an emotionally turbulent time for all involved. Things can become even more sensitive if there are children involved and the two parties have to come to an agreement on the upbringing and care of their children.

Experienced family solicitors can assist parents in the child custody process whilst offering compassionate and accurate legal advice, including guidance on c100 forms and how to accurately complete them for the family court.

A c100 application form is a document to be filled out that asks the court to make a judgment on the arrangement for your children under Section 8 of the Children’s Act 1989. There are three types of judgements/court orders this form can apply for: a Child Arrangement Order, a Prohibited Steps Order and a Specific Issues Order.

It is worth noting that you can either fill in the form online or print it out to submit to the court in person. The form comprises many different questions, including dates of birth, if you have a social worker and if the children have the same parents.

If you are looking for legal advice on c100 forms and the best steps to take in the process of child arrangement issues and child custody, our panel of expert family law solicitors are well-equipped to assist you. Please get in touch today to find out how we can help.

Mediation Information Assessment Meeting (MIAM)

Once you have completed the c100 form, you are required to attend a Mediation Information Assessment Meeting (MIAM) with an accredited mediator from the Family Mediation Council. It has been a requirement from the court to attend a Mediation Information Assessment Meeting (MIAM) since 2014. Attending a MIAM is not only to avoid unnecessary upset and costs for families whose issues can be resolved amicably with mediation but also saves the court’s time and resources.

The mediator will assess whether mediation is suitable for the particular case. Not all cases are appropriate for mediation, especially those involving issues such as domestic abuse, risk of harm or child protection concerns. There are also some circumstances which may warrant an urgent MIAM, which can be arranged within 48 hours of contacting the family mediator.

If a MIAM is suitable, alternative methods of dispute resolution, such as collaborative law or arbitration, can help the parties explore various options for reaching a resolution without going to court.

If the mediator comes to the conclusion that mediation is not suitable or is not working, they must sign the 9th page of the c100 form. Once you have your MIAM Certificate, you can then progress to court proceedings.

A family law solicitor from our panel can assist and advise with any questions surrounding the process of c100 forms and MIAMs, please get in touch today to find out more.

What is a c100 form used for?

A c100 form is used for three specific types of orders issued by the court and is designed to address various aspects of parental responsibilities and child welfare. These orders play a crucial role in determining the living arrangements, protecting the child’s interests, and resolving specific issues related to their upbringing:

Child Arrangement Order

Child Arrangements Order (CAO) is a legal document issued by a family court that outlines the arrangements for a child’s living situation and contact with parents and other significant individuals. The primary focus of a CAO is to ensure that the child’s best interests are at the forefront of decision-making.

This order might specify with whom the child will live, how much time they will spend with each parent and the nature of the contact. The overarching principle is to provide a stable and supportive environment for the child’s physical, emotional, and educational development.

Prohibited Steps Order

On the other hand, a Prohibited Steps Order (PSO) serves a different purpose within family law. This order is sought by a parent who believes that certain actions by the other parent could potentially harm the child or negatively impact their upbringing. A PSO prohibits specific actions without the court’s prior permission.

Common scenarios where a PSO might be applicable include preventing a parent from changing the child’s surname, taking the child out of the country, or making significant decisions about the child’s education or medical treatment without consulting the other parent. The court carefully considers the necessity of the order in each case, always prioritising the child’s welfare.

Specific Issues Order

A Specific Issue Order (SIO) is employed when there is a particular dispute or disagreement between parents about a specific aspect of the child’s upbringing. This order is sought to resolve a specific question or issue that requires the intervention of the court.

The matter in question could range from the child’s education and religious upbringing to decisions regarding medical treatment. The court, in issuing an SIO, provides a definitive resolution to the specified issue, and the decision is legally binding on the parties involved.

How much does it cost to submit a c100 form?

To submit a c100 form, there is a fee of £232 to be paid to the family courts for processing the application. This fee can either be paid by by post if you are posting the form, or online if you are filling in the form digitally. If you are in receipt of certain benefits, you may also receive help with such fees.

Why choose Expert Family Law?

If you are wondering about the application process or completion of the c100 form, then Expert Family Law can help. Family law solicitors can assist in negotiations between parents, arranging mediation and advising on when an application to the Family Court should be made.

Having good solicitors in place can make all the difference and will ensure your children feel secure, safe and wanted whilst helping parents come to the right decision, keeping your children’s needs at the heart of all decisions.

We understand that disputes involving children and their care can be incredibly complex and sensitive. The solicitors on our panel can provide you with the best advice and assistance on resolving child arrangement disputes and obtaining Orders from the Court if the dispute cannot be resolved between the parents or through the process of mediation.

As well as assisting with c100 forms and child arrangement disputes, our panel of fixed-fee family solicitors offer a range of family services relating to the process of divorce and financial settlements following the breakdown of a marriage or civil partnership (ancillary relief).

We ensure that the experienced family lawyers from law firms on our panel have the skills required to assist with your legal case. We can assure you that your case will be dealt with in a compassionate and understanding manner.

Get in touch today using the form at the top of the page to find out if a child custody solicitor could help with your case.



Divorce Proceedings

Ancillary Relief

Domestic Abuse

Child arrangements

Expert Family Law

Keep up to date with the latest family law news